From April 17-21, the Money Museum will celebrate National Coin Week with an array of activities, including an open house with special events on Saturday, April 21 from 10:30 am to 5 p.m. Admission to the Money Museum is FREE for all visitors during National Coin Week.
For the millions of people who enjoy collecting coins and paper money, the fascination with numismatics is linked to culture, history, art and science. The Money Museum in Colorado Springs, operated by the nonprofit American Numismatic Association, showcases valuable and historical treasures the public cannot see anywhere else. Rarities include a 1913 Liberty Head nickel valued at $2 million and two of the 15 known 1804 silver dollars valued together at $6 million.
To recognize the role of numismatics in building bridges and promoting unity, the theme – “Connecting Cultures: From Many, One.” – was selected to celebrate the 95th annual National Coin Week event. The theme focuses on U.S. and world coins throughout history, commemorative medals, monetary unions, designs on euro notes, and more.
Open House Events
- Free admission to the Money Museum, located at 818 N. Cascade Ave, adjacent to Colorado College and the Fine Arts Center, April 17-21. The museum’s four galleries include the most complete collection of U.S. gold coins ever assembled; an installation dedicated to the history of money, including examples from ancient times; an exhibit focused on commemorating the 100th anniversary of World War I; and a kid’s zone.
- Mini-Mint demonstrations throughout the day on Saturday, April 21. Museum guests can receive a freshly-minted National Coin Week medalette. Additional Saturday events include:
- The “Plinko” prize drop, where every child can drop a plinko chip to win a prize.
- A raffle drawing to win 30 seconds in the Cash Cube, where the winner gets to keep all the cash he or she can grab.
- Attendees will be challenged to answer numismatic trivia questions for a chance to win prizes.
The Edward C. Rochette Money Museum is located at 818 N. Cascade Ave, adjacent to the campus of Colorado College and next door to the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. Museum hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 am-5 pm. Regular admission is $8 ($6 for seniors, military and students). Kids 12 and under are always free. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or visit www.money.org/money-museum.